Legislative Report Cards
We are working on our 2023 legislative report cards!
How Did Your Legislator Vote On Reproductive Rights And Bodily Autonomy?
Abortion rights are under attack! What do we do? Stand up, fight back! Learning how our policymakers vote on abortion is critical to changing the political landscape to reflect West Virginians’ actual support of reproductive rights.
This report card shows how every member of the Legislature voted on bills to take away abortion rights during multiple legislative sessions in 2022.
We want to be sure you know how they voted! The bills showcased here are as follows:
- A total abortion ban that was introduced after the fall of Roe, known as HB 302. There were two versions of this – one brought forth during July Special Session, and one Final Abortion Ban brought forth during September Special Session. We opposed these.
- A Resolution Defining Women’s Place in Society (or, Patriarchy on Steroids), known as HR 302, a vote taken immediately following the abortion ban. We opposed this.
- A House amendment to allow exceptions for rape and incest in HB 302. We supported this.
- A House amendment to repeal from State Code the 19th-century crime of abortion, also in HB 302. We supported this.
- A Senate amendment to allow rape and incest reports through mandated reporters in lieu of police, also in HB 302. This protected victims. We supported this, however, the ban passed by the Senate in September removed this protection.
- The fifteen week ban abortion ban, known as HB 4004, which we opposed. This bill did not ultimately pass.
- An amendment to allow exceptions for rape and incest after 15 weeks in HB 4004. We supported this.
- An abortion ban for genetic reasons, known as SB 468, which we opposed.
- An amendment to allow exceptions for rape and incest to the Genetic Reason Ban. We supported this.
How to read this report card:
Vote Supported by WV FREE & WV FREE Action Fund
Vote Opposed by WV FREE & WV FREE Action Fund
Absent / Didn't Vote
Not sure who your legislator is? Simply click here and type in your address! After finding your delegate and/or senator, check to see how they voted. If a legislator has a check, that means WV FREE supported how they voted. If a legislator has an X, that means we opposed their vote. If you would like to print out a copy, please select the button below!